Monday, October 13, 2014

Pen Pals In the News....

    
     Clara a Spanish student and new penpal, recently wrote an article about our project that was published in two local newspapers. Clara is also a student in Pershing's journalism class.

     Below is the article that appeared on page twelve on The Village News and The Southwest News.
Ms. Aguilar






INTERNATIONAL PEN PAL PROGRAM
THRIVING at PERSHING
by Clara Brotzen-Smith

   "Pershing foreign language students are making friends in other countries around the world. A pen pal program that has been in existence for the last two years allows students from Pershing Middle School and students in Spain to make a connection through the written word. This program is headed by Ms. Aguilar. Pershing students have been given the opportunity to not only exchange letters in Spanish, but also French. This is because the students in Spain are learning French along with English.

   A number of students have been writing to pen-pals in towns throughout rural Spain for a year now, and have formed strong bonds with the Spanish students they have been corresponding with. Kirsty Leech says, “It has definitely improved my Spanish skills, and it’s great to know there is someone else looking out for me that isn’t just a face I see every day.”

  “The project benefits lots of students. Not just my students, but students in French and native speaker classes too.”  Says Ms. Aguilar “It has benefitted in the fact that I have seen students using more advanced vocabulary.”

  In a time that we see such unrest among the different countries in the world this program seems to bridge relationships with students from both the United States and Spain."


Clara's efriend is Fatima from Burguillos.
R. Aguilar

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks so much for putting my article on your site!
    I am so excited for when we get to start sending letters to our pen pals. Maybe I can send Fatima a copy of the newspaper :) Until then, I will continue to contact her via instagram.
    -Clara Brotzen-Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Clara completely. It is one thing to know Spanish but it is another to be able to pull it off in front of a Native speaker. I really enjoyed the Pen Pal program and I hope to do it again. It was a great learning experience.
      Neel Pai

      Delete