Tuesday, April 28, 2015

New Pals at The Jesuit School of San Jose in Villafranca, Extremadura

     Dear friends; during the month of February, I was contacted by Mr. Mariano Parra Diaz, an English teacher of Colegio Jesuitas San Jose in Villafranca de los Barros in Extremadura. We discussed the possibility of adding one of his classes to join in the pen pals.
     Mr. Parra had heard of my project through his cousin, Antonio Surribas of Burguillos and also an Alumni of the Colegio.
    Therefore, Mr. Parra is now another of the teachers along with his school, as part of the project.
Some of my students that have pals at Colegio San Jose. Picture taken in Merida, Spain.

      Nestled on top of a hill, the Colegio San Jose began its history in the center of town, but afterwards the Society of Jesus decided to build the new school. The foundation was begun in 1895 and shortly after, in 1897, classes began. However, throughout the years the school continually added new structures, hallways, and classes to what we see today.

     The school's website and more information can be found here:
http://www.sanjosecolegio.com/
The school reminds me of Oxford in England. See for yourself - pictures of the school and its grounds can be found here:
http://www.sanjosecolegio.com/modulos/core_media/pub/listado.php?idcat=45&zona=quienes
 
     During our trip to Spain this past March, I met with Mr. Parra, however we were so short of time we did not visit the school. At present Mr. Parra and I have 22 students that are corresponding and getting to know more about each other through emails and other applications.

     I look forward to continuing our collaboration and expanding our involvement. Our next tour to Extremadura will bring my students to visit Villafranca and perhaps even working together on an activity.
Until soon!

Raquel Aguilar


5 comments:

  1. Jacqueline Touchet

    The city sounds so beautiful. I wish I could have gone. It would have been so much fun to meet the pen-pal I have been corresponding with. The school also seems like a very good school. I looked at the website, and if I ever lived in that area, I would be interested in going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The city is really pretty.I should have gone.It would have been really cool to travel on the other side of the continent or country, and meeting new people is fun. On the other hand the school looks so nice I also checked out the website maybe I will go on the next trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to this city. It was so incredible!!! I'm so glad you gave me the opportunity to go see all the beautiful cities and meet my pin pals. I can't wait for my next opportunity to go!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Pen Pal program is so incredible because I get to communicate with other students on the other half of the world. I was very interested in this article because I am attending a Jesuit school next year, Strake Jesuit. I am fascinated in history and this city looks like it has a rich culture and history. I'm so grateful that you are my teacher this year because I have not only been able to learn Spanish but also some of its culture and history

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the Pen pals. It was fun to see how lifestyles change half way across the world. I got 4 Pen pals, 3 in Jerez de los Caballeros and one in the Jesuit school. I was lucky to be part of the program and I hope other people can enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete